Tuesday, March 9, 2010

Off to the doctor

So, I don't want to get too TMIish about this, but I've been having some odd symptoms for the last couple of years, somewhat consistent with a hormonal imbalance. I went to the doctor back when this started, and was told it was nothing, but the symptoms are getting more noticeable lately. I'm going back to the doctor tomorrow because I really want to get this checked out properly. I know that, while what I'm experiencing isn't necessarily a sign of something wrong, it's certainly not usual, and I'm fairly sure that it can't be deemed normal or abnormal without some kind of investigation.

I am a little worried that it could be something serious, or that it might affect the baby-making plans, but right now what's stressing me out the most is the fear of getting the brush-off from the doctor: "Oh well, you're young, I'm sure it's nothing." "It's not important unless you're trying to have a baby." "I could put you on the Pill if you want.*" "That'll be €50 please." Too often I feel like doctors don't really listen to me; I'm young and I'm nervous, so therefore I must be overreacting or imagining things. And it's horrible to be dismissed like that -- I'm always left wondering what I could have said or done differently to make them take me seriously.

I had a doctor back in college who was really good. He** would listen to my concerns, and whatever was bothering me, he'd tell me what was happening to my body. If he was treating me or referring me onwards, he'd tell me what to expect and why the treatment or referral was appropriate. He always treated me like an equal. I miss him. It's hard to find someone like that.

 Anyway, I will report back tomorrow and tell you how I get on. In the meantime, if anyone has any tips for dealing with doctors, please share!
 
-----------------
 *Nothing against the Pill in principle. But I've never been on one that agreed with me, and I've had doctors repeatedly suggest it as a way to cover up all kinds of problems rather than actually trying to address the causes of those problems.
 **Contrary to popular belief, not all male doctors are jerks.

No comments: